Scotland represented for the first time at the ISF Tennis World School Championships by Merchistons Tennis Academy
Merchiston established Scotlands first Tennis Academy in 2007 with 13 boys. Since then it has grown to around twice that size. These players attend Merchiston in Edinburgh (some boarding, some as day pupils) where they pursue both a bespoke academic timetable and a world class tennis programme, led by Head Coach, Marcel du Coudray. The Tennis Academy provides player pathways from top county level players to junior grand slam level.
Due to the Tennis Academys year of success, it is the first team to be selected to represent Scotland at the ISF Tennis World School Championships. Merchistons performance in the U15 and U13 age groups at the Aegon Nation Schools Tennis Championships resulted in the U13 team coming out on top and the U15 running a close second to rival, Reeds School, Surrey. Merchistons ranking improved to second in the UK after its triumph at the National School finals this year. Merchiston has also been Scottish School Tennis Champions for the last 5 out of 7 years, making it undeniably deserving to represent Scotland in Doha.
Head Coach, Marcel du Coudray, commented:
This is a great achievement for these boys to have qualified for this tournament and it will be an experience that they will remember long into their tennis careers. The team aspect is similar to the Davis Cup and all players really enjoy this aspect of the tournament.
The Scotland team includes Ewan Moore, who is ranked number one in Great Britain at U18 level and Chris Edge, Philip Blythe and Douglas MacIntosh, who were all in the U15 National Schools Champions Team in 2013.
Merchiston is very proud to represent Scotland ISF Tennis World School Championships and Headmaster, Andrew Hunter, will be in Doha to watch the boys perform. If you are interested in finding out more about Merchiston and the Tennis Academy Mr Hunter would be delighted to meet you for personal appointment; please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The first school to represent Scotland at the International Schools Tennis Finals, Doha, 2015
- Ranked number two in the UK in the LTA Team Tennis Schools rankings, 2014
- Scottish Secondary School Tennis Team Champions, 2014 - Winners an impressive 5 out of 7 years!
- U18 Scottish Indoor Champion, January 2014
- U13 Aegon National Schools Tennis Champions, 2014
- U15 Aegon National Schools Tennis Champions, 2013
- Tennis Scotland Special Award 2013
- Winner of the Highland Spring Hot Shot Award 2013Published: March 11 2015