Lord Wandsworth Leaderboard ad 23 Nov 23

Special Educational Needs by Condition

How is SEN Defined?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she: 

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or 
  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions’

The term 'special educational needs' (SEN) refers to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. If a child has a special educational need they may need extra help at school. Depending on the type level of difficulties this can be provided with the help of specialists within mainstream school or within a school that caters specifically for certain special educational needs see special educational needs school options .

If you think your child may have a special educational need (SEN) that has not been identified, you should contact your doctor, health visitor or SENDCO at your school or  pre-school setting.  Here are some links where you can will be able to find more information on identifying special educational needs and find help and support:

Special educational needs and disabilities guide for parents and carers 

Contact a family


Cobham Hall Location page
The Duke of York Military School
Jerudong international school rectangle Dec 2023
Cobham Hall Open Day Ad 24 Feb 2024
Aldwickbury open day feb
Upton House Open Day 9 Feb
isbi Search Select 28 July 2022
St Marys Calne Open Day Ad Feb 2024
Lord Wandsworth Recatangle 20 Nov
Abbotsholme Open Day 1 Feb 2024